You are here
When Dr. James G. K. McClure first arrived in 1881 as First Presbyterian Church’s 4th pastor, Lake Forest was a young town in the midst of growing pains. It was his earnestness and vitality that inspired a congregation of disparate individuals to unite into a community with top-notch institutions. No less than a dozen town and college buildings owed their existence to Dr. McClure’s efforts. By the time he left First Presbyterian in 1905 to become President of McCormick Theological Seminary, he had recorded over 19,000 visits to the homes of Lake Foresters.
In 1913, Dr. McClure’s daughter Harriet married Robert Douglas Stuart, who was working his way up in the family firm of Quaker Oats, having started in 1906 sweeping floors at an Ontario mill. Dr. McClure’s children and grandchildren have followed in his footsteps as enthusiastic champions of their community.
Nomination submitted by Margaret Stuart Hart
Click the thumbnail images below for a slide show about the McClure-Stuart family from the 2011 Centennial Family Awards.