Lake Forest Hospital
You are here
It was a few years later, in the late 1930s, that it became quite clear that the facilities at Alice Home Hospital were not adequate for the growing Lake Forest community. The Dick family had always been benefactors of the hospital, as well as the college where it started, but on this occasion they surpassed themselves. In 1939 Mary Dick donated 23 acres of land as a site for the new hospital. The timing was perfect: materials were purchased and construction began before wartime rationing took effect. Architect Stanley Anderson took the design of Westmoreland as a model in creating the hospital building.
At her death in 1944, Mary Dick left 60 additional acres of the Westmoreland estate for the hospital campus. In 1948, the house and most of its outbuildings were razed.
Throughout the history of the hospital since then, the Dick family have been involved, presiding over boards, establishing scholarships, and helping start the Gift Shop and Rummage Shop for fundraising.